Wednesday 18 April 2012

Understanding Fashion - Research Week 2 - 12th Dec






I did more design work in my sketchbook this week, starting to experiment with new medias and design ideas. One thing that was lingering over me was how much I enjoyed the knit workshops in the last project and whether i should take the risk to experiment with it further. I kept the twisting idea from last week going in my shape making workshops as I liked the idea on fabric, even though I'd been taring wires and computer parts into embellishments in the studio, I still want my garment to physically look like it has 'wires' too.

As it still is shape making I experimented with wadding to see if I wanted to play around with the proportions of the garment and body shape with my initial design concept. By looking at some of the sketches in my book I decided to explore the path of 'multiples' today, by adding more and more 'cable' calico. I really like this concept, so my photos of this played a great help in my design work. I had the workshop for tufting, pleating and embellisher this week too. I have used an embellisher before and love how it can merge fibrous materials such as wool with synthetic ones. The plaster will come in great use later if I choose to need it as it is a very time saving useful device too. The tufting was awesome as I love wool and is a great way to add unexpected texture to a agreement as a design/print feature.

After still being undecided as to use surface decor (Ive been experimenting with wires and circuit boards as embellishment), knit or print, the final shape making workshop before the christmas break was very useful, as I was able to combine the knit samples I have produced (small circular knitted tubes) and the images I have taken with the projector to see how digital print would work. Over the break i aim to work more on these three concepts, buy materials ready to start final samples after the break!

No comments:

Post a Comment