Wednesday 18 April 2012

Understanding Fashion - Design Week 1 - 9th Jan




Over the Christmas break I continued with my experimentation and design work and wanted to go in the direction of knitwear to expand my skills I picked up in the workshops. I still wanted a form fitting garment, yet I wanted a explosion of volume, through my designs I wanted to concentrate on the neck and chest area by adding wadding and tubular knitting. The volume would be really hard to create by adding the wadding without having a 'pouch' in the knitwear to add it into. I found an invention called 'tubular erin' which was found on an alternative dressing website for hair. It is easily stretched, yet will add volume to my circular knitting without weighting it down or making it look lumpy. I spent the rest of the week in the knit room with my cotton yarn to see what tension, style of knit and details I wanted. I chose to do a mock rib (as I can't do a rib on circular knitting) and interpret three coloured stripes as my basic toile reminded me of a sports sock, therefore my research lead my to add the colour in a why which referenced them

No comments:

Post a Comment