Saturday 21 April 2012

Understanding Fashion - Making the Garment!

Knowing my design and intentions for the garment, I set to take the challenge of finally knitting it!
Firstly I had to get the right tension to fit the cotton yarn I bought, one that had enough stretch in order for it to fit comfortably, but without it gaping too much and exposing the skin. I decided on a 14gauge as my yarn was thick and strong. I then had to create a standard 10cmx10cm sample and count the rows and stitches in order to workout how many needles to cast on and how many rows to knit in white, orange, green, blue and when to mock rib. It took a few samples to get right and a lot of maths in terms of working out the pattern. My intentions were to knit it completely in circular knit so it is seamless, then to overlock the base, arms and neck, then to create small tubes as bias binding and connect them on the machine. After creating the basing dress, I added 10 tubes of circular knitting filled with tubular erin and hand stitched them to the top of the garment for the wire effect I desired. 

After working on it for a while I was beginning to get frustrate with my design, but after sticking with it for a while and correcting a lot of my own mistakes with care and detail, I learnt so much from enduring a knitting garment in this unit of work as I feel my skills as much higher than before and I am ready to challenge more knitwear! I even found cones of yarn in a charity shop so I can sample between the next project. For a first year with very little experience in knit, the knit tutors said i did a great job and in hindsight I do feel that I have achieved a great thing with my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment