Tuesday 16 April 2013

My Digital Print Processes

Creating my own unique paisley design. 

If i had to pick one print to favour amongst all it would have to be the paisley. Its Scottish background reflect my own, yet even though created in the 18th century usually on a Jacquard weave, modern replicas of the print are sometimes given Moroccan connotations and eastern influence, yet still creating a peaceful allure in its imagery. 

I started out in a classic format of creating a repeat 4 square print 
then cut the image up equally, and drew in the middle for a seamless repeat print.



Layering with the imagery of the graffiti didn't first give my the seamless result into i had to blur the edging, this is now in the final design


Editing the contrast, saturation and colour ways of the image blurred it into a new directional piece of art

These next prints came from images of the Berlin Holocaust Memorial and Berlin wall art, combined, mirrored, retouched and painted through.

I chose the aqua variation as through sampling I believe it worked better than the others with the red paisley choice. I also loved the deep blue version, my influence for such a geometric city inspired print came from recent works of Matthew Miller (menswear designer, featured later) and Louise Gray's womenswear prints. Again, keeping with the theme of Juxtoposition, intertwining two prints of such different tastes backed up my thoughts on political madness, unity in families and religion yet madness and confined spaces. 




here is an image of the final piece on stand. I does have matching trousers, and is typically in a pyjama style of suit. This reflects the historical reference to Jews wearing 'pyjamas' in the concentration camps and the famous novel which I read prior to this 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' 


Adding over-embellishment to the outfit gave the piece a bolder, more high fashion perspective on menswear. 


For my next printed suit I designed around these two geometric shapes I created, building on them through repeat, scale, blending and colour.



The first stage is the block stage, I like this print in terms of commercial use for labelling, yet a repeated print would work better on fabric. 


Exploring more with seasonal colour ways I like the idea of using more earth tones in this particular print. 


a rough print I created using paint and bricks, quite a nice touch for small accessories or panelling 


No comments:

Post a Comment