Wednesday 17 April 2013

DKNY Progess

If you've ever been to New York, where DKNY is based, the first thing that will strike you is the people. Sure, getting off the aeroplane and driving across Brooklyn bridge is spectacular, but once you get into downtown Manhattan the reason behind the life and soul of New York is its people, its residents it elite east side, to artistic Meatpacking district and more suburban south. It all makes up a mini world in which you feel like you could live forever. Whenever I smell a sandwich sub bar or a subway station itself the smell engulfs me back to my time in new york, admittedly a few naive years ago, but a time where I was still very visual to what was around me.

One area in particular I had a hankering to visit was Mercer Street in SoHo to go to the shop Seven new York, which has since closed. It held well to my stereotypical view of New York building structure of lower basement steps off the street and oozed a modern cool vibe even in the year of 2007, which I would still say was modern now. I remember seeing a lot of stylish men in New York. Not particularly because they were sporting the latest 'go to label' but because of their attitude, the day to day way of life, the way the oozed calm and style by you making up the picture of them living in a contemporary brick apartment with old trinkets and art deco furnishings. 

This is what I wanted to base my brief around. Not a particular image or typical New York landmark, but recreating that DKNY man I saw those few years ago. For men I feel style is more in the mind, whereas for women it is in the eye. By looking at the 'DKNY man' and his attitude to life, living and style I hope to create functionality, modernism and style of a trademark level to who he is personally. 


I wanted to look into puff coats and jackets. This image of lava heating and cooling provided me with botanical and natural inspiration for a more create puffa effect than the stereotypical puff formation. 



Previous DKNY lookbooks achieve a very modernist look. I want to expand on this by adding contemporary menswear.




New York street images they are significant in the development of my ideas. 


One pages of design ideas I have been playing around with 


A waxed cotton fabric I sourced which I love to either feature as a lining or as the outer jacket itself.




Drawing I have done keeping the DKNY man in mind. 


Visionary extreme puffa jacket. Think large and reign it all back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment